“It is clear that the regime in place, seeking to remain in power at all costs, is planning massive electoral fraud and systemic corruption,” they said in a joint press release, of which the Belga agency obtained a copy. .
“In order to thwart this macabre plan, against the future of our nation, the urgency of a single candidacy from the opposition emerges as the best strategy, according to our unanimous opinion and that of the experts,” add MM . Matata, Kikuni and Diongo.
DRC: Félix Tshisekedi officially files his candidacy for the presidential election
They emphasize that following the consultations held last week in Pretoria (South Africa) between the representatives of five of the presidential candidates of December 20, Mr. Katumbi “emerges as the candidate capable of leading the opposition (to Mr. Tshisekedi’s regime) towards victory.”
“In agreement with the decisions of our respective parties, we have decided to support his candidacy for the presidential election” on December 20 in the DRC, the press release continues.
According to MM. Matata, Kikuni and Diongo, their rallying behind the candidacy of Mr. Katumbi “responds to the deep aspiration of the people (Congolese) who demand a change in governance.
“We call on our peers to join Mr. Moïse Katumbi Chapwe to form a united bloc against electoral fraud,” they further declare.
Mr. Matata was the first to announce his withdrawal in favor of Mr. Katumbi on Sunday on X (formerly Twitter).
“In reference to the conclusions of the work in Pretoria (which brought together last week delegates from five presidential candidates), in which my party the LGD took part, I announce my support for Moïse Katumbi Chapwe, who will carry the ticket of opposition to the presidential election of December 20, 2023,” said the leader of Leadership and Governance for Development.
In a video, the former Prime Minister of former President Joseph Kabila Kabange spoke of the need to maximize votes and “above all, thwart the maneuvers of power”, by presenting a single opposition candidacy.
DRC: “Kinshasa, it’s becoming a jungle”
Following consultations with opposition delegates, “Moïse Katumbi Chapwe emerges as the candidate who can represent the opposition ticket, represented by four major parties and groups that took part in these meetings,” added Mr. Matata .
Another opponent, Seth Kikuni Masudi – “candidate 11” among the 25 vying to face outgoing President Félix Antoine Tshisekedi Tshilombo, candidate for a second term – imitated him on Monday, according to UN radio Okapi.
In a statement published on of the best interests of the Nation.
For him, his rallying and that of his Piste pour l’Emergence party to the candidacy of Mr. Katumbi “as the sole opposition candidate for the presidential election (…) is the best way to block the road to fraud and achieve change. Mr. Kikuni also invited all other “opposition and resistance” candidates to join this dynamic.
A third opponent, Franck Diongo Shamba, also announced on Monday his withdrawal from the presidential race and his support for Mr. Katumbi.
DRC: “Denis Mukwege will be the X factor of the 2023 election”
As for Dr Mukwege, he confirmed his candidacy on Monday, thus rejecting the rumors circulating about his withdrawal in favor of another candidate, notably Mr Katumbi.
“False information is circulating on the internet alleging that Dr. Mukwege withdrew in favor of another presidential candidate (…). We confirm that this information is false,” said his chief of staff, Vital Barholere, cited by the Congolese media.
“In accordance with the wishes of millions of Congolese, Dr. Mukwege is still a presidential candidate and remains open to dialogue for the nomination of a common opposition candidate. He takes this opportunity to thank the Congolese population for the warm welcome reserved for his peace plan for our country as well as his massive support for his social project,” he added.