Thyroid gland is the largest endocrine gland, it is located in the lower part of the neck. It is shaped like a butterfly. Two hormones are released from the thyroid gland, the first is T4 and the second is T3. Both these hormones control the body’s normal activities, metabolic activity, reproduction and growth related activities. Thyroid hormone is required for the proper functioning of every organ and every cell of our body.
Increase in the size of the thyroid gland is called goiter, which can be caused by many diseases in the thyroid gland. Basically there are two types of thyroid diseases.
- Hyperthyroidism, in this, excess amount of thyroid is produced and released from the thyroid gland. In this situation, metabolic rate increases, body trembles and heart beat starts increasing. Despite feeling very hungry, weight starts decreasing. Menstruation becomes irregular and eyes become enlarged.
- Hypothyroidism is a condition that occurs when the thyroid gland produces less amount of hormones. In this, body weight increases despite loss of appetite. The skin starts becoming dry and the voice also becomes hoarse. There is problem of constipation. All activities of the body become slow. Heavy bleeding occurs during periods. Hormone medicines are given for its treatment.
Thyroid symptoms in children
When children have congenital thyroid, they develop mental retardation. Children remain immature and their height does not increase. If it is not treated on time, children are unable to develop mentally. If thyroid treatment is not done at the right time and in the right amount during pregnancy. So the risk of mental retardation increases in children.
There are three treatments for this
- second operation
- radio iodine
no restrictions on eating
There is no restriction in eating, we should eat salt containing iodine. Can eat normal food at home. We can reduce thyroid disease by doing regular exercise and controlling weight.
You should also know this
- Thyroid diseases are autoimmune, women are more likely to have autoimmune diseases. Therefore, the risk is higher in women.
- Thyroid condition causes reproductive problems in both men and women.
- Thyroid: Its treatment is very cheap.
- Negligence can prove costly because its symptoms become visible only when the disease progresses too much. Its symptoms are very common, so if you notice symptoms of thyroid then immediately consult a doctor.