15 November 2022, Italy, Turin: Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal in action against Canadian Felix Auger-Aliassime during their Men’s group stage match of the Nitto ATP Finals 2022. Photo: Nicolã Campo/LaPresse via ZUMA Press/dpa – Nicolã Campo/LaPresse via ZUMA / DPA
MADRID, Dec. 1 (.) –
The Spanish tennis player Rafa Nadal confirmed this Friday that he will return to the courts after almost a year of absence due to injury in the Brisbane (Australia) tournament, of the ATP 250 category that will be held between December 31 and January 7.
“Hello everyone. After a year out of competition, the time has come to return. It will be in Brisbane and it will be the first week of January. See you there,” Nadal said in a video on his social networks in which he also It reflected the moment of his injury at the Australian Open, the announcement that 2024 could be his last year and moments of his recovery.
The former world number one, winner of 22 Grand Slams, injured his iliopsoas on January 19 during his second round match at the Australian Open against the American Malcom McKenzie and, in principle, it was estimated that he would be sick leave between six and eight weeks.
However, it was not like that and, finally, on May 18, the man from Manacor offered a press conference in which he confirmed that the illness had not “evolved” as they expected and that he was going to put a “full stop” in his career, also suggesting that 2024 could be the last year of his sports career.
At the beginning of June he had hip surgery and from there he took a break before starting his recovery again to be ready, while urging caution in the face of announcements such as that of the director of the Australian Open, Craig Tiley, saying that I would be in Melbourne.
Finally, on November 15, he assured that his return was now closer. “If you want something new that I hadn’t told you until now, well, I didn’t know if I would ever play tennis again and now I sincerely believe that I will play again,” Nadal confessed.